How often are the job vacancies updated?

The vacancies on our site are updated on a daily basis! If you can’t find the vacancy you want, you can always sign up for our job alerts and we’ll let you know when your dream job becomes available.

If I want to know more about a job vacancy, who can I contact?

A wealth of information is available on our YHA Jobs website which you can access by navigating through the various sections. We’d also recommend checking out http://yha.org.uk and, if you’re keen, you can always visit one of our hostels! Our teams are always happy to help.

If you still can’t find what you need email: [email protected]

What is a "live-in" job role?

“Live-in” means that staff accommodation is available as part of your contract. You’ll get your own room and access to a kitchen, bathroom and living area at a bargain price! Your accommodation will be deducted from your wages on a monthly basis.

What are my expected working hours?

Working hours vary from role to role and details will be specified in each individual advert. As we operate in hospitality, a mixture of weekend work, late and early shifts may be required.

What documentation do I need to bring with me to interview?

We require all candidates to submit ID at the interview for both proof of right to work in the UK and ID for a DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check for our safer recruitment practices. For information on the ID required at interview, please visit: https://jobs.yha.org.uk/right-to-work-and-dbs-ids/

What should I expect when I attend an interview?

Firstly, don’t worry – interviews are our way of finding out a bit more about you and give you the chance to find out more about us. We’ll generally ask a series of questions surrounding your previous experiences and why you want to work for YHA, so have a good think about why the role is suitable for you and make sure you come prepared.  It is always useful to have a look at our company values too these will give you a guide to the behaviours we look for during our recruitment process.

What will you do with my details?

We understand your personal details are sensitive, so you can rest assured that we will treat them in accordance with Data Protection laws. Our data retention period for applications is 12 months, after which time your details will be anonymised and/or deleted.

If I am not successful, can I apply for a job again?

Yes, but you’ll need to wait at least six months before re-applying. To maximise your chances of success next time, we’d recommend you spend some time working on the feedback you received before reapplying.

I’ve heard about safeguarding, what is it?

We take the safety and security of our staff and customers very seriously. We have certain roles which will require additional checks around safeguarding and working with young people. Employment for these roles is subject to satisfactory checks.

What should I do if I am an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen and want to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you have the option to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.


I’m not a UK or EU citizen, can I still volunteer?

If you are not a UK or EU citizen then you will need to have the legal right to be in the UK. This is obtained through a visa from the UK government. For more information about travelling to the UK and how to apply for a visa, visit the Gov.uk website.

YHA is unable to act as a sponsor – or provide references to volunteers about their intention to volunteer while in the UK – to support visa applications.

Can I volunteer with YHA if I am under 16 years of age?

The minimum age to become a volunteer is 14. If you’re aged 14-16 years you can get involved in our work experience and Duke of Edinburgh’s Award volunteering programmes. If you are over 17 years of age, you can get involved in a wider variety of programmes, and also gain the chance to volunteer away from home.

What is the maximum age limit for volunteering?

There is no upper age limit for volunteering with YHA.

If I were to volunteer would I need to undergo criminal conviction checks?

DBS checks or local police checks for non-UK citizens are only undertaken for volunteers who support in roles which come under the regulated activity definition. If the volunteer role requires a DBS check, this will be clearly stated in our recruitment information.

How do I make a complaint about my volunteering experience?

Although it very rarely happens, sadly sometimes things can go wrong. YHA has a formal and clear process in place to deal with complaints. Our aim is to resolve concerns as quickly as we can, making sure we treat everyone fairly.

We ask that volunteers first speak to their line manager to resolve concerns. Where this is not possible or suitable, volunteers can email [email protected] or call 01629 592 562 for support. If you would like a copy of the YHA Volunteer Complaints Policy, please contact the volunteering team.

How much training will I get when I volunteer for YHA?

Making sure volunteers feel supported is important to YHA. All volunteers will be given a nominated contact (line manager) who will support them in their volunteering experience. YHA ensures that all volunteers receive an induction to their role and any training required to deliver their role with YHA. Any personal protective equipment relevant to the role will be supplied by YHA.

Where are the volunteering opportunities based?

YHA has sites in England and Wales and this is where the majority of our volunteering opportunities are located. You can find out more about individual YHA sites, including pictures of the hostel, description of facilities and public transport information by visiting the YHA website.

Is accommodation offered with volunteering opportunities?

YHA offers some great opportunities to be able to volunteer away from home. This not only gives you the chance to visit a new location but also helps to build your skills by travelling independently.

If the role you are applying for has accommodation with it, then this will be provided to you without charge. Accommodation is only provided for free to volunteers. Any accommodation provided is only available for the duration of your placement and when your placement ends you will need to leave the accommodation. Accommodation is mainly offered on a single gender dormitory basis – this means you could be sharing the room with other people of your gender.

Will I get help with accommodation and travel expenses while volunteering?

Depending on the role you apply for, you may be able to gain help with travel costs and accommodation provision. To find out about support available with travel and accommodation please read the Essential Guide for the role you are interested in.

How long are your volunteering placements?

You can volunteer with YHA for up to 12 weeks. For student placements this can be extended, but it depends upon individual academic circumstances.

Do you have student volunteering placements available?

Student placements are only available to individuals who are aged 17 years or older who are currently studying towards a qualification and as part of their course have to undertake a placement. If you apply for a student placement you will be required to supply details of your course, tutor and school/college.

This opportunity is available to UK and EU citizens and to non-EU members who have the legal right to work in the UK. With student placements, YHA offers free accommodation and three meals per day without charge. All travel costs and additional living costs must be funded by the student.

Can I get a reference by volunteering with YHA?

All volunteers can use their volunteering experience as a reference for employment or academic study. You should in the first case contact the hostel which you volunteered at to supply your reference, or you can email the volunteering team on [email protected] for assistance.

Can I get a certificate once I’ve completed my volunteering?

All volunteers can obtain a certificate of recognition for their volunteering. If you would like a certificate please ask your YHA Line Manager or, if you would like a certificate issued retrospectively, please contact [email protected] with your name, dates and location of where you volunteered and your current email address.

How do I apply to volunteer with YHA?

You can apply for all volunteering opportunities via our Volunteering website.

How long do applications for volunteering take to process?

Please be aware that it can take up to eight weeks to confirm a placement. YHA tries to place all volunteers who offer support but there may be the odd time that we are unable to meet your requirements or offer you a placement. Where YHA is unable to place you, we will notify you by email and signpost you to other volunteering opportunities which we think may be of interest to you.

How do I make an inquiry to the volunteering team?

Enquiries can be made to the volunteering team, based in our National Office, by emailing [email protected] or by calling 01629 592 562. Our office is open Monday to Friday from 8.30am until 4.30 pm. Please note that our office is closed on UK Bank Holidays.

Am I allowed to bring my assistance dog on my volunteering placement?

YHA does not allow animals to stay in our sites but does make an exception for assistance dogs. If you are supported by an assistance dog please state this on your application to volunteer or you can call our volunteering team on 01629 592 562 or email [email protected]

What volunteering opportunities do you offer for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award?

YHA runs a limited number of five-day volunteering opportunities which are approved by Duke of Edinburgh for the Gold Residential Award. We also offer volunteering to fulfil the Bronze and Silver sections of the Awards at our hostels and National Office in Matlock, Derbyshire). To find out more, email [email protected]